The idea of expression and communication and understanding other cultures, those are all the values that make good, kind people. And I think that’s all we can hope to engender in this world.
The Cinema Arts Centre is a 501(c)3 not-for profit organization. The mission of the Cinema Arts Centre is to bring the best in cinematic artistry to Long Island, and use the power of film to expand the awareness and consciousness of our community. Founded in 1973, 2018 marks our 45th year. With your support, our programs will continue to enrich our community for decades to come.
Last year, the Cinema Arts Centre:
- Served over 2,000 public school students through our Film Arts in Education program
- Partnered with many local community and not-for-profit organizations to maximize impact on a wide variety of issues such as climate change, reproductive freedom, racial justice, prison reform, media literacy, ableism, the opioid crisis, income disparity, gender equality, and more!
- Presented over 300 special events, including 122 guest speakers, 93 musical performances, 48 films presented on 35mm, and special series such as Sky Room Talks, Comedy Night, Sensory Friendly
- Screenings, Out at the Movies, Cinema Preview Club, and more!
- Presented 60 documentaries
- Presented films from 55 different countries
We make a difference in our community by:
- Using the power of film to create empathy in a world where empathy is greatly needed
- Providing a venue for conversations and connections, serving as a true community center and what many of our members call their “home away from home”
- Generating approximately $7,000,000 in spending in our local economy through our role as an employer and our ability to attract visitors to our area
- Educating and mobilizing on important issues that are relevant to our members and patrons
How are your contributions spent?
80% of our revenue is directly invested in programs for our community, while 20% is invested in all administration, fundraising, and overhead. Administration, fundraising, and overhead are important, and worthy of investment. We can’t produce our programs without it. But our independent audit does show that year after year 80% of the funds we earn and raise go to directly support the programs you care about.
Where do those funds come from?
What’s the difference between the Life of Our Cinema Campaign and the One Dollar Campaign?
The One Dollar Campaign is a call to our members and patrons add one dollar to each ticket purchase to support our capital fund. Our capital fund is “below the line” revenue that is not part of our program and operating budget. Our current capital priorities are to replace our screens and seats in Theaters One and Two. Thanks to the ongoing support of our audiences, we have already completed our screen replacement! Thank you! We hope that seat replacement will be underway in 2019.
The Life of Our Cinema Campaign is our annual appeal for program and operating support. This is a critical piece of our “revenue pie” that we must raise each year in order to have a balanced budget and ensure our ability to deliver our mission.
This is OUR Independent Community Cinema
The Cinema Arts Centre belongs to all of us. If it means something to you to be part of our Cinema Community and part of the movement that makes all of our programming possible, please make a contribution to the Life of Our Cinema Campaign today.
Please download the Stock Transfer Form, and follow the instructions to formalize and execute your charitable gift, and please be sure to mail or email the completed information to the contact provided on the form.
How is our Capital Fund doing?